Chris Christie on GMA: I got COVID-19 because ‘I let my guard down’

0

Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie admitted it was a “big mistake” to let his “guard down” by going mask-free at the White House event where he contracted the virus.

In his first televised appearance since his coronavirus diagnosis, Christie, 58, said he had a “false sense of security” in believing that everyone at the event for Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett had been tested for COVID-19.

“For seven months, I was able to avoid the virus in one of the worst-hit states in the country, New Jersey,” Christie said on “Good Morning America” Friday.

“But I let my guard down. It was wrong, it was just a big mistake. What I want people to learn more than anything else is I was doing it right for seven months in avoiding the virus. I let my guard down for a couple of days inside the White House grounds and it cost me in a significant way.”

The Republican insisted he had been diligent about wearing masks, washing his hands and social distancing because of his history of asthma.

But he was caught at the super spreader event sans mask, chatting closely with colleagues who also didn’t wear face coverings.

Christie checked himself into the hospital on Oct. 3 after coming down with COVID. He was administered a cocktail of drugs during his week-long stay and released on Oct. 10.

President Trump Holds A News Conference In White House Briefing Room

Chris Christie and Rudy Giuliani

Getty Images

President Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump

Chris Christie at the ceremony at the Rose Garden at the White House

The Washington Post via Getty Images

Up Next

The death of greenskeeper William Hinchey, who was pushed to…

2

View Slideshow

Several others who attended the Sept. 26 ceremony in the Rose Garden have also tested positive, including President Trump.

Christie’s appearance on GMA comes on the heels of an interview with the New York Times, in which he expressed the same regret for going maskless.

View original post